Photo: Adam E. Moreira
Photo: Sarah Zenewicz of Seacoast Media Group
A balanced and regionally integrated transportation system is the lifeblood of New England’s economic future, and of maintaining the quality of life that has made the region such an attractive place for people to live, learn and work, and for businesses to invest, innovate and grow.
Investing in a robust rail network for New England is essential for building the balanced transportation system our region needs. The long-term pay-off of these investments will be substantial, with a re-invigorated rail system for both passengers and freight that:
- Better connects the New England states with one another, with other regions, and with Canada
- Serves as an engine for sustainable economic growth
- Builds vibrant, walkable, transit-oriented cities and towns
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions and other pollution, and reliance on foreign oil
- Provides greater transportation choice for people and goods.